(Editor’s note: Thanks once again to all who’ve generously responded with donations or pledges for the 50 for #50 virtual toy drive! We now have 16 individuals confirmed who have donated about 36 gifts comprised of over 52 items! Check the footer of this page for an up-to-date list of toys/donations and locations. And remember…we still have six days to go! If you’d like to join the tribe, just let us know what you donated and where…and maybe even post a photo to Facebook! I’ll keep the update going — and announce our grand total on Friday 12/26. THANK YOU TEAM HAPPYNESS!!!)
Week #14 – Do you have “A Happy Heart”? (Hint: What is your face telling you?)
There is an old proverb: “A happy heart makes a cheerful face.” When I found the words “A Happy Heart” on the board this week…I needed only to remember Rob’s radiant smile and gleaming eyes to know that, indeed, he had a happy heart. Yes, cancer tried to take that from him…but I believe that Rob lived mot of his life with a happy heart, largely because I believe that Rob knew exactly what made him happy!
Do you? If you’re not sure…take a look in the mirror. What does your face tell you?
Your assignment for this week: I know everyone is busy — so I want to keep this easy and fun. We are about to enter one of the most stressful weeks of the year. So many of you are focused on making others happy — or expecting someone else to magically return the favor. I’m asking YOU to pay attention to what makes YOU happy! It may be as simple as your silly cat or dog, words to an old song, or an irreverent or inappropriate joke you can only share with a dear friend…or maybe it’s a bigger challenge like spending time only with people you enjoy, getting that extra sleep your body is craving, or saying no to something you honestly don’t want to do. Take note of the moments when you feel your heart lift. And catch yourself in the mirror once in a while. What is your face telling you?!
Keep a list of what makes you happy, and check it twice. It may be the difference between naughty and nice this holiday week! 😉
(By the way…those are all things Rob did to keep his heart happy! Now it’s your turn…)
Spread Happyness — and tell us what makes your heart happy in the comments!
I wish each and every one of you “A Happy Heart-mas!”
12/19/14 by Grace Church
© Grace Church
50 for #50 Toy Drive Update
AS OF 12/23/14:
1. Thomas the Tank Activity Toy was donated at Dollar General in Netcong, NJ.
2. Two Lego sets and a Lincoln Log set were donated at Toys for Tots in Stockholm, NJ.
3. Two Operation Christmas Child boxes, Baby Chicks, a Bible, and money to fund Thanksgiving baskets were donated at various locations near Succasunna, NJ.
4. Two Hallmark Jingle Bell Stuffed Animals will be donated in Flanders, NJ.
5. CLUE game will be donated in Flanders, NJ.
6. Hot Wheels Assortment was donated near Stanhope, NJ.
7. Donation made to EFA (Endometriosis Foundation of America) in Robert’s memory.
8. Barbie VW beetle donated to Community Hope’s SSVF Program (supportive services for veteran families)
9. A baby doll with a pacifier and crib, a doc mc stuffin gift pack, and home made loom bracelets were donated to the Hackettstown Police Department in Hackettstown, NJ.
10. 2 stuffed horses, a Crayola creation set and a remote control car were donated to Toys for Tots in Parsippany, NJ.
11. Four wigs (along with bandanas) were donated to Carol G. Simon Cancer Center in Summit, NJ.
12. Five gifts — Mega Blocks, a play xylophone, a Fisher Price Rock-a-Stack, a baby doll, and a plush puppy dog — were donated for a sweet little girl through Angel Tree in Tampa, FL.
13. A monetary donation was made to Toys for Tots near Flanders, NJ.
14. A donation was made to Mylestone Horse Rescue in Rob’s name.
15. Two very generous donations were made in Hopatcong, NJ: Gift #1 — 2 sweaters, 2 mulitmedia pads, a color wheel, and 126 mulitmedia art set. Gift #2 — tie dye kit, package of white tee shirts, cross stitch kit, crewel kit, soap making kit, nail kit, 2 bottles of nail polish, nail treatment, nail oil, base coat and top coat, and lots of socks!
16. A donation was made in Rob’s memory to Memorial Sloan Kettering.
17. Donations were made at Toys for Tots and Bergen County animal shelter in New Jersey.
18. A donation was made in Rob’s name to Eleventh Hour Animal Rescue.
19. A $50 donation was made in Rob’s name to United Methodist Global Aviation Ministry.