(Editor’s note: The final count is in! Two individuals were so inspired by your updates and generosity — they donated over 50 individual toys and games to Toys-for-Tots in Netcong, NJ. This puts our count at nearly 100 gifts — if not over! I cannot thank you all enough for your generosity, support, enthusiasm, and encouragement for this first attempt to Spread Happyness in a tangible way through this website. I look forward to finding more ways to Spread the Wealth in 2015! WAY TO GO, TEAM HAPPYNESS! I am so proud of you!!!)
Week #14 – Looking Ahead! (Remember the “Why?!” behind your what!)
Rob loved what we used to call “Why?!” moments. Movies like “The Wrestler”, “Titanic”, “Rudy”, and “Platoon” all have them — that point when all hope seems lost. “Why, Grace…Why?!” It makes for great entertainment.
But “Why?!” can also be the difference between tragedy and triumph.
Answered with “because…” — it can be a tragic combination. “Because…” looks BACK at the circumstances and tries to make sense of it, to identify a reason, or maybe even apply a meaning. “Because…” can be easy, because it sees what is already.
Answered with “so that…” — it can be a recipe for triumph. “So that…” looks FORWARD to the result of your why, the things you will do or change to reach a NEW conclusion, the meaning you apply AHEAD of time! “So that…” is hard, because it sees what isn’t — yet!
Your assignment for this week: This is the last post of 2014 — and I know many of you are already looking at your goals, dreams, aspirations, and visions for the new year ahead. Conventional goal setting guidelines will tell you to be SMART about your WHATs: Specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, and timely. I’m asking you to consider being even SMART-ER and putting a WHY behind your WHAT by adding EMOTION and RESULT to the mix!
WHY? So that I can FEEL (fill in the blank) .
WHY? So that I can achieve/accomplish/acquire/arrive at/accept (fill in the blank) .
Think about where you want to be next year this time…and then ask yourself WHY?!
Spread Happyness — share your WHATs and your WHYs in the comments!
A continued “Happy Heart-mas!” to all…and a SMART-ER New Year, too!
See you in 2015!!!
12/26/14 by Grace Church
© Grace Church
Final 50 for #50 Toy Drive Update (Thanks to all who donated and supported this drive!)
AS OF 12/26/14:
1. Thomas the Tank Activity Toy was donated at Dollar General in Netcong, NJ.
2. Two Lego sets and a Lincoln Log set were donated at Toys for Tots in Stockholm, NJ.
3. Two Operation Christmas Child boxes, Baby Chicks, a Bible, and money to fund Thanksgiving baskets were donated at various locations near Succasunna, NJ.
4. Two Hallmark Jingle Bell Stuffed Animals will be donated in Flanders, NJ.
5. CLUE game will be donated in Flanders, NJ.
6. Hot Wheels Assortment was donated near Stanhope, NJ.
7. Donation made to EFA (Endometriosis Foundation of America) in Robert’s memory.
8. Barbie VW beetle donated to Community Hope’s SSVF Program (supportive services for veteran families)
9. A baby doll with a pacifier and crib, a doc mc stuffin gift pack, and home made loom bracelets were donated to the Hackettstown Police Department in Hackettstown, NJ.
10. 2 stuffed horses, a Crayola creation set and a remote control car were donated to Toys for Tots in Parsippany, NJ.
11. Four wigs (along with bandanas) were donated to Carol G. Simon Cancer Center in Summit, NJ.
12. Five gifts — Mega Blocks, a play xylophone, a Fisher Price Rock-a-Stack, a baby doll, and a plush puppy dog — were donated for a sweet little girl through Angel Tree in Tampa, FL.
13. A monetary donation was made to Toys for Tots near Flanders, NJ.
14. A donation was made to Mylestone Horse Rescue in Rob’s name.
15. Two very generous donations were made in Hopatcong, NJ: Gift #1 — 2 sweaters, 2 mulitmedia pads, a color wheel, and 126 mulitmedia art set. Gift #2 — tie dye kit, package of white tee shirts, cross stitch kit, crewel kit, soap making kit, nail kit, 2 bottles of nail polish, nail treatment, nail oil, base coat and top coat, and lots of socks!
16. A donation was made in Rob’s memory to Memorial Sloan Kettering.
17. Donations were made at Toys for Tots and Bergen County animal shelter in New Jersey.
18. A donation was made in Rob’s name to Eleventh Hour Animal Rescue.
19. A $50 donation was made in Rob’s name to United Methodist Global Aviation Ministry.
20. Three $50 donations were made to Operation Holiday, Toys for Tots, and Wounded Warriors in Rob’s name, along with over 50+ toy (and food) donations in Netcong, NJ to DOUBLE OUR EFFORTS!!!.
*** THIS PUTS AT NEARLY 100 INDIVIDUAL DONATIONS! WAY TO GO, TEAM HAPPYNESS!!!***