Week #41 – Summer Fun Challenge: “Ride the Rides!”
Greetings Happyness Tribe — and welcome to week two of our Summer Fun Challenge!
Graduations are complete, schools are closed, and summer vacations have officially started. With that comes trips to the amusement park, boardwalk, or maybe even your local carnivals or fairs. Don’t let the kids have all the fun! Jump in and “Ride the Rides!”
My very first roller coaster ride was on the Wildcat Coaster at Betrand’s Island in NJ — with my older brother, Tony. (And yes — we went around twice with no break!) I have great memories of riding Roaring Rapids, the Log Flume, and even the Bobsled ride at Great Adventure with my father. And wonderful memories of riding the Asbury Park Ferris Wheel with my mother after a long day at the beach. But my most precious memories are with Rob — driving all over New Jersey and Pennsylvania in search of the biggest, tallest, and fastest rides within a day’s reach. (We even took our chances as adults on something called “The Slingshot” at Action Park!)
More recently, I’ve enjoyed some great scream-therapy on Kingda Ka (and lost my keys, to boot!). Jim and I have battled it out on bumper cars, let loose on the swings, and laughed ourselves silly on the Rock-n-Roll Express. It’s easy to sit back and watch and remember the good times…but it’s more fun to get over yourself, get in line, and be a kid again! The best time is right now!
This week’s assignment: Don’t let the kids have all the fun! RIDE THE RIDES! Little ones often want to ride the big rides — but they need an adult to go with them. The next time you find yourself saying, “I’ll wait right here…” — take that as a cue to buy yourself a ticket, a token, or a wristband and GET IN LINE! Bonus — waiting on line with your spouse/kid/friend/loved-one offers great conversation time. I think of the HOURS waiting on line with Rob for our turn at any one of the dozens of roller coasters we rode together — and I wouldn’t trade them for the world!
Step right up! There’s room for one more! Take a chance…and “Ride the Rides!”
Spread Happyness — share your favorite memories in the comments. (Then get out there and make some new ones!)
6/26/15 by Grace Church
© Grace Church
PS: Our FUN LIST is growing! I’ll keep adding your ideas to the list — and pick one at random for each weekly challenge. Keep ’em coming!!!
– “One Tank Trips”
– Surprise trip for spouse or loved one
– Beach time
– Tourist for the day in nearby city
– Walking the boards
– Rock climbing
– Scuba diving
– Touring an estate
– Time with family
– Sitting on the porch
– Watching for rainbows
– Learning to surf
– Writing a book
– Working on a “summer” project
– Moving to a new town
– Planning a spa day (or half-day, or even lunch hour)
– Taking Fridays (or Mondays) off!
– Day at the ballpark (Minor League stadiums are great, too!)
– Outside concerts/music events
– Hot air balloon ride/festival
– Pool volleyball (a Church-family classic!)
– Take yourself or someone you love for ice cream!
– Weed your front yard garden (and talk with neighbors and folks walking by!)
– Lose yourself in wonderful music, either listening or singing
– Play in the grassy backyard
– Play with your dog (or maybe your neighbor’s dog!)
– Sing karaoke
– Explore your town, county, state…through food and drink!
– Visit a farm
– Make plans to see friends you don’t often get to see (or schedule a gathering!)
(What are we missing? Send me your ideas and I’ll add them to the list!)